My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

19 November 2006

Full Saturday

Ahh yesterday was great. Biked with Rose to a professor's house, who drove us to a second-hand store that had EVERYTHING. Including books, of which I bought two. They had dishes, which made me regret buying all those new, more expensive ones from Leclerc. Ah well. Returned chez the prof, and she gave us a cafetière! So no more making coffee in saucepans, thank goodness.

Rested, then went out again, this time to the "BD Boum"...a huge comic book expo. French people take comics very seriously, it's not just something for kids. It's an artform. The expo was great because you had everyone roaming around the tents, from kids that couldn't even walk to grandparents that couldn't walk either. One father was showing his little 5ish-year-old son around one of the exhibits, and I heard him go: "You see this one? That was inspired by..." Only in France. I bought a pirate comic book, figured it'd be nice to have some actual bandes dessinées to use in an American classroom. Plus it's got pirates.

Went to La Halle, the neighboring café (also where I do my tutoring), and got drinks. They were outrageously priced! I get a hot chocolate during my tutoring sessions for 1E60, and this time, it cost me 3E!! Jacking up the prices for the expo??

Got home and then out agaaain, this time with Françoise to the movie theater to see "Scoop," the new Woody Allen film. Was pretty funny, there's this great scene where Death is sailing his boat to...wherever he sails...and one of the characters (who is deceased and therefore on the boat), is like "screw this", jumps off and swims away.

Went back to her house for dinner...she made me real crepes! I took notes, so now I can make em at home. AND she lent me a crepe pan, so I'm prepared. They were amazing: first was savory, ham and gruyere and egg; second was sweet, chocolate. Then she let me actually try making one, so I hopefully have it down.

Got home, not for long. Was determined to go to the engineering students' soirée, main goal: get my hat back from a Frenchman called Bobo. O dear. A 15-minute run in the rain later, I got there, got my hat, and couldn't be asked to run back, so I stayed. Turned out to be a fun evening, I love the way French people dance. It really reminds me of swing. The footwork isn't the same, but the rest is identical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home