My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

10 November 2006

Gettin thru the week

Wednesday, 8 November

I got my carte de séjour today!! Had received notification in the mail that I could come pick it up, and it was just too easy. Walk into the préfecture, stop at the front desk, hand em my convocation and récipassé, and they handed me my CDS.

Came home for a laundry party at our house, everyone brings theirs here because we have a washing machine. Mehdi went out and got chicken and bread and wine, and we had a fine lunch of chicken curry and stir-fried vegetables.

Wandered into town with Claire and Kristen, where I bought some much-needed hand lotion. It's funny, for the Brits, things are cheaper here, but I still can't help thinking how expensive things are. Where's a good ole deep-discount store when you need one? Even England had the pound store.

It's been stressful working out household finances...nobody likes doing it, but it needs to be done. We're going to do two kitties, one for general household things and foods that Susan wants to go in on, one for shared foods for the rest of us. Now if we can get a cleaning schedule, I'll be happy.

Thursday, 9 November

I know teachers do this all the time, but OMG five classes in a day is hard. Especially here, because you have all this down time...I'm at school from 8-5 today, then I tutor til 6. But classes went well, generally. I had one where only three kids showed up...knowing the prof whose class it is, I'm guessing there was probably confusion of one kind or another about time. But the three that did show were good and enthusiastic, so I'm ok with it.

Went to a concert this evening at the Chato'do, nice little venue about 20 minutes walk from our house. Went to the restroom before the concert, and dunno what the heck happened, but I just flush, and the water won't stop coming. Before you know it, there's water pouring over the floor and I run to the bar to tell someone in seriously panicked-and-therefore-baaad French, "There is a problem with the toilet...and now there is water everywhere!" Nice.

The concert itself was pretty good. The first group--Porcelain--gave me high hopes with the first song, a good beat and melody. But then their true colors came out and it was a strange mix between depression and poserish English lyrics. Whole songs would consist of three notes and the lyrics "I want a song that turns me on" repeated endlessly.

The second group, Smooth, was much better. Funk-electro-soul-pop mix, kept things interesting. I might even go so far as to buy their album.

Tomorrow, Shannon and a friend are coming up from Aix to visit for the weekend! Yay! So that means tomorrow is gonna be a cleaning day, and hopefully a sort-out-the-kitty day so we can get some more food. We'll be eating pasta for breakfast tomorrow as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home