My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

21 January 2007

Progressing thru the weekend...

Went to see a movie today--Zone Libre--about World War II and and a family of German Jews taking refuge in France. It was a good challenge to watch a French film without subtitles--we normally put them on when we're watching films at the house.

For the record, I feel pretty impressed with French health care so far. A visit costs 21E, and 70% of that is reimbursed by social security. I got in the same day that I went to make the appointment, and heck, I just plain understood what the doctor was saying.

It is amazingly mild for January--a global trend, I know, but still. I'm running around in light sweaters and/or a vest coat.

Tonight, we made sushi. Mehdi found all the necessary ingredients at an Asian food store in Tours, so we gave it a shot. Turned out pretty tasty, but I gotta say, I'm still hungry.

I'm reading Madame Bovary right now, and it is going a bit slow. Vocabulary is harder than what I'd been reading previously--Les Echelles du Levant--and I am also taking to the semi-bad habit of reading mainly before bed, which involves me reading a couple sentences before falling asleep. Need to take active steps to read when I'm awake and energetic enough to give this attention--like, dictionary-in-hand sort of attention.

On that note, it's 1am and I'm going to take meself off to bed, but not before once again trying to make a little progress with Emma and the gang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home