My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

28 February 2007

Loire and les vacances

So far, the break is going well. I met the parents in Charles de Gaulle airport (note: taking the RER train--the equivalent of a cattle car--is not the best plan). We got back to Blois, ate lunch at the Louis XII, crashed, and then had a nice dinner chez moi with the other assistants.

Saturday, we went to dinner at Le Castelet with Alan, Tom, Dorine, and Rose. Tasty dinner...they have regional specialties that are also historically-inspired. Like fish cooked in red wine...apparently white wine is trickier to produce, so back in the day, they stuck with red wine for most things. I had rillettes (kind of like grainy pâté), pot-au-feu (basically a stew of beef, carrot, potato, turnip, leek...), and o my goodness chocolate orange mouuussse......

Chocolate orange mousse.




Sunday, we went to mass at the cathedral St. Louis--felt like I was back in experiential learning classes with Dr. Oldrieve...for my parents to go to a French mass had to be like medieval peasants hearing a sermon in Latin. We also toured the chateau de Blois.

Monday, we went to Tours. Walked around town, checked out the Gallo-Roman ruins, the 15th century houses still in use. Ate crepes.

Tuesday was spent at Chenonceau. I walked around the gardens a bit as I'd seen the inside, and it was lovely. It was just nice to walk in a wooded place; I miss trees. Blois is sadly lacking in trees, at least in the town.

Wednesday, we had a quiet day in Blois. Shopped in town, had a very nice lunch at the Indian restaurant, walked past my school, and spent the rest of the day doing laundry, packing, etc. Crepes for dinner, homemade.

Today, we're leaving for Paris in about an hour. I'm looking forward to getting out of the Loire Valley a bit! Paris, Scarborough, then Carcassonne. Back in 10 days or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home