My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

27 November 2006

Merry ole England

What a trip. Cumulatively, I spent more times on trains that I did sleeping. But oh, it was worth it.

Started early Wednesday, got up at 4:30 because I was just too excited. Got into Paris around 8:30, wandered around the garden of the natural history museum until it was time to get the Eurostar. The sky was amazing on the way up by Lille, dark gray clouds but sun shining behind. The sooty smell of the London underground was gorgeous in its own dirty way. I forgot how early it gets dark up there...it was 2pm in London and looked more like 6. On the way up after the change in York, it was almost surreal to see the familiar station names--like driving home and seeing those landmarks that mean you're almost there. Jono and Natalie met me at Scarbro station, and it was just like we'd all been away on vacation for a couple years. I can't explain how great/weird it was to walk back to the old flat, unlock the door, and have everything be pretty much the same. Rosie's gained a little weight, the front door sticks a bit, and there are two girls living in our old rooms, but it still has the same sounds and smells. And Rosie still has the knack for getting into stuff; she got Natalie's toothbrush and my comb over the course of the week. After chatting and tea with Liz, we three headed out to where Jono's staying with his old housemates. It was again surreal to meet up with these kids...two years ago, I just assumed I'd never see them again, and then there we were, eating spaghetti and watching TV. Went out to see Lucy and some of the guys play (including this infamous guy who gives local bands a boost in Scarbro, known as "the Captain").

Thursday, Natalie and I got up, took Rosie for a walk on the beach. Lunch at the tearoom; the ham sandwich is still amazing, as is the coffee walnut cake. I did some wandering on my own, got a haircut, made my way up to make sure Anne Bronte was still there and well. Roamed up a path I hadn't taken by the castle and ran into some locals taking a walk, chatted a bit. It was so nice to be able to actually carry off a conversation with random people. Haven't mastered that in French yet. Anyways, after I got back, we picked up an obscene amount of Tesco's brand pizza for Thanksgiving dinner. After dinner, we ended up in Bacchus for open mic/terribly cheesy disco night. Aaah good times.

Friday, we stumbled out of bed into the tearoom for a quiet lunch of soup and bread. Jono's friend from Alaska arrived, and the four of us caught the bus up to Whitby--again, dang the darkness here, we arrived around 4pm and it was already dusk. I'm kickin myself for not having gone up there earlier, it seems very quaint. On the way up to the abbey, we ran into several lost sheep, just wandering around the car park. They stopped, consulted amongst themselves, and then headed for the cemetary. We headed for the ruins but couldn't find the entrance. We couldn't leave at this point, so we solved the problem by jumping the wall. I can see why Bram Stoker used this as a setting, it's straight-up eerie, especially when it's all misty and dark. Jumped back out of the grounds after a bit, got mulled wine at a pub, and then took some locals' recommendation on a fish and chips place. Bused our way back to Scarbro, then went over to Johan/Emi/Edward's place for a wine club reunion. James was around, too, so that made seven of us! Amazing! Ended as wine club always would, with Natalie, Jono, and I meandering down to the beach and splashing around.

Saturday, I got up, brushed off the sand from the night before, and squished into my still-wet shoes. It was a fairly rushed morning, good-byes were so short that they could barely be difficult. Got into Derby after standing most of the way--dang not having reservations. Met up with Dave at the station, dropped stuff off at the house, and then went off to see my first ever professional football match (reeeeal football, aka soccer)! Derby v. Leicester City...there were all sorts of quality shouting and singing going on. Derby won 1-0 (yayyy! after my hostel experience in Leicester, I'm quite happy to see anyone beat them). We headed back, made some chili, then went down to the pub for a pint, where I took advantage of the fire to dry out my still-damp shoes. Went back to eat the chili, then headed out to the hot spots of Derby. Made a Subway run at the end of the evening, then promptly collapsed.

Sunday morning involved industrial-strenth coffee. Hopped the train around noon, dozed on the various trains all day long, and finally stumbled through the door around 11pm. Was strange to get back into Blois and actually feel like I was coming home...I hadn't quite thought of it as such before.

Pictures are goin up tomorrow, this girl's gonna get some much-needed shut-eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home