My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

14 October 2006

Good ending to a crazy week

Friday, October 13, 2006

OMG. Internet in the house. I might cry for joy.

Today was amazingly productive...got my provisional carte de séjour, went to a lecture on Latin American politics, turned in my CAF paperwork, and had a good night of hanging out with fellow assistants. The bureaucracy here seems easier than people give it credit for--you go and sit in a small line, quickly receive an appointment so that you can return and promptly take care of your business. Compare to the lines at the BMV and it's amazing.

Party tonight was so fun...we had English, Spanish, and German assistants present, as well as our French neighbors. Crazy language mixture, but it all worked out.

We got our ethernet internet to work earlier in the day, and now for some unexplicable reason, the wireless is working on my computer, but on no one else's. Go figure. It's definitely almost 4am, and I'm just too excited by internet to go to bed. Only 10pm at home.


Thursday, October 12, 2006

Today’s classes were pretty good! I’m getting the hang of this teaching thing. Be relaxed in a confident but not over-friendly way. And straighten them out when they need to be. Aaah one of my classes was rowdy and totally not listening, and I just pulled one of those typical teacher moves like “Excuse me, I can wait…” and they were silent as a grave. Amazing.

Some good energy in some of the classes…a willingness to speak and learn vocabulary, and they want to know about the US. It’s very encouraging. The teachers are getting used to me as well…I’m still mistaken for a student every once in awhile, mostly by the gatekeepers (ugh, these locked gates are killing me). But I now have a key to two of my own classrooms, and I feel like I’m actually doing some good. Get the kids talking, don’t be overly AR about their grammar and such, but just point out easier ways to say things. Like today, one girl talked about her dog having “baby dogs.” And I was able to help by telling her that the precise word was “puppy.” A nice way to end the school week.

One of the teachers also told me about a student who wants to take private lessons…so this is good. More experience, a little extra money, something else to do.

Tonight, had a girls’ night complete with pizza, peanuts, wine, and ice cream. Ironically, the English girls are introducing me to American drama series, specifically the O.C. Once I get past the cheesy predictability, it’s actually quite entertaining. Susan and I stayed up later to watch the rest of the episode…the others have seen it already…and yea, it’s sad how much we’re both gasping over who shot who or which couple’s going to break up. But my kids keep asking me about American TV, so maybe this is a good thing. :)

Tomorrow, no teaching, but I’m going to the prefecture early in the morning to apply for my carte de séjour. Then hopefully going to a history lecture at lycée Augustin Thierry, where Catherine and Susan teach. The CAF office will happen in the afternoon, if all goes to plan.

And HOPEFULLY our internet will begin working tomorrow. Can’t wait to do internet searches and chat on a proper QWERTY keyboard.

Really weird…am currently listening to “This is a Low” by Blur, and got desperately homesick for Scarborough of all places. I miss the relaxed living abroad in England…language wasn’t a barrier, and in a way the expectations weren’t so high. No residency card, no crazy landlord, everything was a package deal. I know this experience is in many ways more valuable—it’s an actual job, in a country where I can develop in so many ways—but right now I just miss the carefree enjoyment I had walking to class by the North Sea, running down to the beach at all hours of the night, tea in our little attic of a flat, Liz’s ham and cheese sandwiches. From the first day, I was comfortable and at home. Yes, there were difficulties, but they were child’s play compared to the stuff I do here on a daily business. I’ve been here almost three weeks, and I’m still just trying to find equilibrium. Find the best places to buy food. Stamps. Screwdrivers.

But it’s still great. Not 100% yet, but it will be. I just know once things get settled, I’ll be able to relax and take the time to look at this town and my experiences properly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home